Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calibration issues
I have installed the newest igaging EZ View DRO Plus scales on my Taig micro mill.  When using the igaging readouts, the scales all read within 0.003 of the 123 block measurements. The igaging displays only go three decimalplaces with a fourth digit that reads 5 or blank.  I wish I could have got the better scales that had better resolution but there is only so much to spend on a fixed income.  My blocks actually measure out at 3.0002 on the long side.  I am using the mixed DRO kit with Adafruit micro usb adapters so I didn't have to cut the original igaging cables. When doing the calibration per instructions, my numbers are as follows:

X = 2559
Y = 2560
Z = 2554

But when I try to set the CPI, only the X was even close.  It took me more than five hours to get the CPI to have the display read out 3.0000.  Here is what I had to set the CPI to for each axis:

X = 2545.38
Y = 316.942
Z = 609.11

The board voltage jumpers were set to 3.3 volts.  It didn't matter whether the resistor jumper was set to up, down or left off altogether.  The scale clock jumpers needed to be in place.

Is it normal for these to be that far off or is there something wrong?

Also, the last two digits seem to jump around a bit even with nothing operating except the tablet and the board.

By the way, the tablet is an Irulu EXP Pro 9" running version 4.42.  It was operating on battery power as left the USB charger upstairs.  The board was using a Jentec AC adapter that supplies 5.0 volts up to 2 amps.  I do have fluorescent lights above the bench though if that matters.

Hope I supplied enough information.  Any help would be appreciated.
Roger Petrella
Colorado Springs, CO
(01-08-2017, 06:25 AM)rogerpjr Wrote: I have installed the newest igaging EZ View DRO Plus scales on my Taig micro mill.  When using the igaging readouts, the scales all read within 0.003 of the 123 block measurements. The igaging displays only go three decimalplaces with a fourth digit that reads 5 or blank.  I wish I could have got the better scales that had better resolution but there is only so much to spend on a fixed income.  My blocks actually measure out at 3.0002 on the long side.  I am using the mixed DRO kit with Adafruit micro usb adapters so I didn't have to cut the original igaging cables. When doing the calibration per instructions, my numbers are as follows:

X = 2559
Y = 2560
Z = 2554

But when I try to set the CPI, only the X was even close.  It took me more than five hours to get the CPI to have the display read out 3.0000.  Here is what I had to set the CPI to for each axis:

X = 2545.38
Y = 316.942
Z = 609.11

The board voltage jumpers were set to 3.3 volts.  It didn't matter whether the resistor jumper was set to up, down or left off altogether.  The scale clock jumpers needed to be in place.

Also, the last two digits seem to jump around a bit even with nothing operating except the tablet and the board.

By the way, the tablet is an Irulu EXP Pro 9" running version 4.42.  It was operating on battery power as left the USB charger upstairs.  The board was using a Jentec AC adapter that supplies 5.0 volts up to 2 amps.  I do have fluorescent lights above the bench though if that matters.

Roger,
It's not normal for them to be that far off. Part of the problem with jumping is that you are using Mixed scales kit with EZ View scales. First of all, they are not the same as DigiMag, and Kit's firmware is not optimized for them. Second, Kit is designed for a mix of scales, not three iGaging scales.
Do the scales still work correctly when you plug them into the reading heads?
Do they work correctly when only one scale is connected?
What happens when you move the sales around? Does the CPI follow them, or is it axis-speciffic?

Thank you
Yuriy
(01-08-2017, 06:13 PM)Yuriy Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 06:25 AM)rogerpjr Wrote: I have installed the newest igaging EZ View DRO Plus scales on my Taig micro mill.  When using the igaging readouts, the scales all read within 0.003 of the 123 block measurements. The igaging displays only go three decimalplaces with a fourth digit that reads 5 or blank.  I wish I could have got the better scales that had better resolution but there is only so much to spend on a fixed income.  My blocks actually measure out at 3.0002 on the long side.  I am using the mixed DRO kit with Adafruit micro usb adapters so I didn't have to cut the original igaging cables. When doing the calibration per instructions, my numbers are as follows:

X = 2559
Y = 2560
Z = 2554

X = 2545.38
Y = 316.942
Z = 609.11

Roger,
It's not normal for them to be that far off. Part of the problem with jumping is that you are using Mixed scales kit with EZ View scales. First of all, they are not the same as DigiMag, and Kit's firmware is not optimized for them. Second, Kit is designed for a mix of scales, not three iGaging scales.
What happens when you move the sales around? Does the CPI follow them, or is it axis-speciffic?

Thank you
Yuriy

Yuriy,

All three scales work normally and read to within a few thousands when plugged into the igaging displays.

Having only one cable attached to the board input has no effect.

When I switch the cable from the X scale to the Y input it reads very high.  When I put the Y cable into the X input it reads close to what it should.  So the CPI does not follow the scale.  The DRO reads according to what CPI was input into the software.  

I ordered the mixed scale kit because I am a retired disabled veteran on a limited budget and thought it would work and possibly would use it in the future on another machine using Chinese scales and HF scales.

I am assuming I need to order the igaging specific adapter now, is that correct?

Do you ever get inquiries from someone who would like to buy an assembled mixed scale adapter so that I could possibly recoup some of my previous expenditure?

Roger
Roger Petrella
Colorado Springs, CO
(01-09-2017, 10:04 PM)rogerpjr Wrote:

X = 2559
Y = 2560
Z = 2554

X = 2545.38
Y = 316.942
Z = 609.11

Roger,

Thank you
Yuriy

Yuriy,

All three scales work normally and read to within a few thousands when plugged into the igaging displays.

When I switch the cable from the X scale to the Y input it reads very high.  When I put the Y cable into the X input it reads close to what it should.  So the CPI does not follow the scale.  The DRO reads according to what CPI was input into the software.  

I ordered the mixed scale kit because I am a retired disabled veteran on a limited budget and thought it would work and possibly would use it in the future on another machine using Chinese scales and HF scales.

I am assuming I need to order the igaging specific adapter now, is that correct?

Do you ever get inquiries from someone who would like to buy an assembled mixed scale adapter so that I could possibly recoup some of my previous expenditure?

Roger
Roger,
Can you take a picture of your board and post it here? 
This is not the behavior I've seen before, so I wonder if there is something hardware-related going on. 

Thank you
Yuriy
(01-09-2017, 10:28 PM)Yuriy Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 10:04 PM)rogerpjr Wrote:

X = 2559
Y = 2560
Z = 2554

X = 2545.38
Y = 316.942
Z = 609.11

Roger,

Thank you
Yuriy

Yuriy,

Roger
Roger,
Can you take a picture of your board and post it here? 
This is not the behavior I've seen before, so I wonder if there is something hardware-related going on. 

Thank you
Yuriy

Here are pictures of front and back of board.

Roger Petrella
Colorado Springs, CO