Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese scale to PLC
Hello Yuriy. Amazing work you do. I am building a piece of specialized machining equipment. I need to adapt a chinese scale to transmit data to a PLC controller. Do you have anything that can do this? I need a hardwire connection and not bluetooth. Also, would this simply give position data or could it also communicate speed of travel to the PLC. I am a machinist and not an electronics expert by anymeans. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. What i am trying to do is as follows..... There is a large table/bed that is powered by 50ton hydraulics with 36" travel. The workpiece is in a fixture and the table pulls a broaching type tool throuh the workpiece. The broach has a light twist imparted in its manufacture. I need to communicate the travel of the table to a PLC which will tell a hightorque stepper motor at what speed to rotate the head holding the broach tooling to rotate the broach and assist it in twisting as it is pulled through the work.
(11-23-2016, 05:13 AM)Northcoastarmory Wrote: Hello Yuriy. Amazing work you do. I am building a piece of specialized machining equipment. I need to adapt a chinese scale to transmit data to a PLC controller. Do you have anything that can do this? I need a hardwire connection and not bluetooth. Also, would this simply give position data or could it also communicate speed of travel to the PLC. I am a machinist and not an electronics expert by anymeans. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. What i am trying to do is as follows..... There is a large table/bed that is powered by 50ton hydraulics with 36" travel. The workpiece is in a fixture and the table pulls a broaching type tool throuh the workpiece. The broach has a light twist imparted in its manufacture. I need to communicate the travel of the table to a PLC which will tell a hightorque stepper motor at what speed to rotate the head holding the broach tooling to rotate the broach and assist it in twisting as it is pulled through the work.

Northcoastarmory,
Hardwire connection is not a problem. The chip outputs data via UART in "x1234;y1234;z-1234;" format.
Speed of travel is calculated in the app (the chip doesn't do any math: it simply outputs the raw position received from the scales). 
I know next to nothing about PLCs, though, so I can't help you there. 

Regards
Yuriy
Thank you for that. What product should i be purchasing? Is there an option for a usb output?
(11-23-2016, 05:27 AM)Northcoastarmory Wrote: Thank you for that. What product should i be purchasing? Is there an option for a usb output?

Your best bet would be the DIY KIT. It supports most types of Chinese scales and is more "hackable". To connect to USB you will need to leave out the USB module and buy an FTDI breakout board.