Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A man a plan a canal Panama!
I'm a new member, having found your wonderful site while stumbling through the net. I am nearly 70 years old and have 40+ years of experience as a flintknapper, blacksmith and machinist. I have a Myford Super7 and a Taig mill. I want to fit the Taig with DRO and settled on iGaging Absolute+ from Anytime Tools (I've confirmed that, as of now, that is what they sell). Fortunately I'm starting this project with steps in their proper sequence (often hard to get right the first time).

My plan is to isolation mount the scales on the mill using hard rubber faucet seat washers. These are available in various thickness. I'll read all I can find on this site about connecting the adapter board to the scales. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to wiring. Any advice is welcome. At any rate, I think it would be wise to have everything I'll need before proceeding. By Monday 11/21 I'll have the scales and a 9vDC 800mA adapter and a plan. The adapter is a class 2 transformer. Is that the right kind? I'll be ordering the rest soon.

Thank you all for inspiration and direction.
(11-18-2016, 07:16 PM)knapper Wrote: I'm a new member, having found your wonderful site while stumbling through the net. I am nearly 70 years old and have 40+ years of experience as a flintknapper, blacksmith and machinist. I have a Myford Super7 and a Taig mill. I want to fit the Taig with DRO and settled on iGaging Absolute+ from Anytime Tools (I've confirmed that, as of now, that is what they sell). Fortunately I'm starting this project with steps in their proper sequence (often hard to get right the first time).

My plan is to isolation mount the scales on the mill using hard rubber faucet seat washers. These are available in various thickness. I'll read all I can find on this site about connecting the adapter board to the scales. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to wiring. Any advice is welcome. At any rate, I think it would be wise to have everything I'll need before proceeding. By Monday 11/21 I'll have the scales and a 9vDC 800mA adapter and a plan. The adapter is a class 2 transformer. Is that the right kind? I'll be ordering the rest soon.

Thank you all for inspiration and direction.

Knapper,
Anytime tools sell all sorts of iGaging scales but they generally rotate their stock pretty quickly, so you are likely OK with the scales. Pre-made iGaging board doesn't suffer from the noise problems LaunchPad and Arduino have. Isolating the scales doesn't hurt but you would likely be OK without doing so.

9V DC will run a bit hot: the voltage regulator on the board is linear, so it will heat up more dropping voltage from 9V to 3.6V. If you can find 5V-ish adapter things will run cooler, but practically speaking you are good up to about 13V. That said I would prioritize mains isolation higher than cooler voltage regulator. Just make the box large enough to provide some ventilation for the board.

Thank you
Yuriy
Thank you, Yuriy. I'm confused at this point about the fine points of connecting the scales to the board - shielded cables v. what comes with the scales. I guess I need to see it all when it arrives. I've ordered a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" so that's taken care of.

Best,
knapper
(11-19-2016, 12:12 AM)knapper Wrote: Thank you, Yuriy. I'm confused at this point about the fine points of connecting the scales to the board - shielded cables v. what comes with the scales. I guess I need to see it all when it arrives. I've ordered a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" so that's taken care of.

Best,
knapper

Knapper,
I'd say don't worry about all that until you know you have a problem. In the early days of the project most setups were build on a breadboard and used Arduino boards. Those were extremely sensitive to noise. Even then only about 10 percent of the users had real problems with noise. Pre-made TouchDRO board is very stable, so all those "improvements" are mostly unnecessary. 

Thank you
Yuriy

P.S. I sent you a PM earlier today regarding connecting the scales.
Yuriy,
I can't locate the PM. My CP indicates 0 PM's.

Thank you,
knapper