Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About to Buy New Tablet - Which Version of Android?
I had TouchDRO up and running on my lathe on my Xiaomi MiPad 1 but then I went on vacation, brought the tablet and lost it...
So now, I will buy a new tablet. I'll go pretty cheap as I will, likely, only use it for the DRO but I see that a lot of the newer options out there are running Android V6-7, perhaps even higher. Would that be an issue? Anyone running newest Android on theirs?
Hi geckosub,
I will be trying to buy a 7" tablet on sale today at ALDI at A$80. It is android 6.

I haven't Got Touch DRO hardware set up yet so I won't be able to fully test it.
I will at least tell you whether the touchdro app installs and runs.
Aldi offer a refund for 90 days if you keep the receipt. I should know by then...
(03-23-2018, 07:23 PM)bobdring Wrote: Hi geckosub,
I will be trying to buy a 7" tablet on sale today at ALDI at A$80. It is android 6.

I haven't Got Touch DRO hardware set up yet so I won't be able to fully test it.
I will at least tell you whether the touchdro app installs and runs.
Aldi offer a refund for 90 days if you keep the receipt. I should know by then...

bobdring,
There are *very* few tablets that don't work with TouchDRO, and those are older non-name tablets running Android 4. Anything with Android 5 or newer will be fine.

Regards
Yuriy
Just a note to confirm what Yuriy has said.
The app loaded and seems to run OK.
I don't have the Bluetooth DRO Hardware operational so cannot vouch if it will communicate yet.
The 7" tablet was an Onix ATA7-318  from ALDI Australia A$79.99 link...
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/...id-tablet/
I'd stick with v4.4.4 to v7 and a 'decent' tablet
TouchDRO has loaded up on every one that I've dinked around with including Android on a PC.
On one of my ancient HP TouchPads running a modded 'Oreo' 8 ROM, TouchDro wouldn't load up properly.
This isn't TouchDRO's fault, it's v8 more than likely.
-=-=-=-
Gotta get a DRO!
I am based in Shanghai which is good in a few ways, like getting parts for all my little hobby projects cheap (sourced the Shahe scales locally at good prices and all the parts for the battery back up, etc.) and also, there's a large selection of second hand tablets online here. I decided to spend about USD 50 and just received a 1.5 year-old 8'' LG tablet with Android 6 (actually, I splashed and upped my budget to 55 bucks;-)). But most importantly, TouchDRO works great on it so far.

I did have an issue with one of my scales and it took a day to trouble shoot it. It was jumping 5, 10, 15mm ever so often and after a bit of trouble shooting I found out that after I had taken it apart I had not tightened down the PCB in the reader head sufficiently. It is very, very picky in this regard, so I propose you don't take the PCB out unless you really have to. And then if you have to, you hook it up and double check that it doesn't jump numbers before you install it all on your machine...;-)