Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z Axis display is red in INCR mode
Received my TouchDRO adapter a couple of days ago and just got it hooked up and calibrated.  The X and Y axis work as expected but Z is doing something different.  All displays are green in ABS and INCR mode.  The Z display is green in ABS mode but Red in INCR mode and it won't zero as the X and Y displays do.  I suspect this in an ESO (equipment smarter than operator) issue, but I can't seem to get Z to work properly.

All help and guidance appreciated.

Oh, and when I try to zero the z axis it changes to -.500 in Red.
(01-12-2018, 07:29 PM)Lowpass5 Wrote: Received my TouchDRO adapter a couple of days ago and just got it hooked up and calibrated.  The X and Y axis work as expected but Z is doing something different.  All displays are green in ABS and INCR mode.  The Z display is green in ABS mode but Red in INCR mode and it won't zero as the X and Y displays do.  I suspect this in an ESO (equipment smarter than operator) issue, but I can't seem to get Z to work properly.

You have "tool offset" set on the Z axis (that's what the Red color means). Long-pressing the tool offset button will clear the offset and the display will go back to green.
I've changed this in the new version (that will be out eventually) to have a dedicated "Clear offset" button. Current version turned out to be confusing Sad

Regards
Yuriy
(01-13-2018, 02:24 AM)Yuriy Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 07:29 PM)Lowpass5 Wrote: Received my TouchDRO adapter a couple of days ago and just got it hooked up and calibrated.  The X and Y axis work as expected but Z is doing something different.  All displays are green in ABS and INCR mode.  The Z display is green in ABS mode but Red in INCR mode and it won't zero as the X and Y displays do.  I suspect this in an ESO (equipment smarter than operator) issue, but I can't seem to get Z to work properly.

You have "tool offset" set on the Z axis (that's what the Red color means). Long-pressing the tool offset button will clear the offset and the display will go back to green.
I've changed this in the new version (that will be out eventually) to have a dedicated "Clear offset" button. Current version turned out to be confusing Sad

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks Yuriy,
That did the trick!

I haven't had much time with the new features yet but so far am impressed. I do notice a much faster response to INC zero request compared to the EZ View displays and overall faster response time during traverse. Only down side is the display jumps around a little more than with the EZ View. I do have the filters turned on.

May be my scale install. I had much better stability with old i-gaging set up on the RF40 mill. Different machine, different displays and different install.
(01-13-2018, 03:55 AM)Lowpass5 Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 02:24 AM)Yuriy Wrote:

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks Yuriy,
That did the trick!  

I haven't had much time with the new features yet but so far am impressed.  I do notice a much faster response to INC zero request compared to the EZ View displays and  overall faster response time during traverse.  Only down side is the  display jumps around a little more than with the EZ View.  I do have the filters turned on.  

May be my scale install.  I had much better stability with old i-gaging set up on the RF40 mill.  Different machine, different displays and different install.

iGaging displays average a lot o values to stabilize the display. The downside to that approach is the lag. The filter I wrote for the app uses some clever statistics to average values that are close but respond to fast movement, but it is definitely less stable than the stock display. 
I'm playing with a few ideas right now to make it more stable, but so far no luck.

Thank you
Yuriy
Tricky problem.  

You certainly want to retain the fast response during movement and not over filter when creeping up on that desired reading.  Maybe something that would lock the last .001 digit after not detecting some small variation over the last second or so?  For the most part we are stationary in at least 2 axis during any machining operation.

Good luck!
(01-13-2018, 02:02 PM)Lowpass5 Wrote: Tricky problem.  

You certainly want to retain the fast response during movement and not over filter when creeping up on that desired reading.  Maybe something that would lock the last .001 digit after not detecting some small variation over the last second or so?  For the most part we are stationary in at least 2 axis during any machining operation.

Good luck!

That was my thought as well. Turns out it's doesn't work very well in practice. There are often cases when I need to sneak up on the last thou and the "hysteresis" approach makes small slow movements very jumpy.