Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tachometer Issues on iGaging Launchpad Build (a FW bug?)
Hey guys,
This is my first post here.
First of all, a huge, huge thank you to Yuriy! What you have done and shared is just nothing short of amazing. I was in between buying a pre-made board or going the Launchpad route but since I like a challenge (and live in far-away China) I went with the Launchpad DIY option. As an aside, I think Yuriy should have kept a donation button up;-)

But let me get on with it. My build has gone OK. I had some issues getting the FW onto the chip. Mostly because I am a Mac guy who is severely limited once on a PC, but in the end, it worked out. I did have an issue with the bluetooth module but I think it was just a dud. I ordered a new one and it has worked flawlessly. So, did my Shahe scales.

Now, I would love to have a tachometer, too. I have tried different hall effect sensors but I have, what could possibly be, the same issue as have been reported in the past with the DIY Mixed Scales FW - I have a very low readout value. Even when I spin the lathe (or power drill for testing) at high speeds I can't get a higher value on the DRO than approximately 30 RPM...
I have tried pre-built hall effect sensor boards and also some loose 3144 sensors. Some go to from 0V to 3.3V when magnets are sensed, some go the other way around. I have tried them all and they all behave the same once hooked up to the Launchpad - they all give 0-30 RPM values. So, I think they are working and I think the Launchpad is reading them OK but perhaps there is a bug in the firmware...?

I am connecting positive to VCC on the board, ground to ground and the out to P1.4. My firmware is Basic V1.31.

I think I have seen some posts from Yuriy where he says he ironed out a tach bug in the Mixed Scales FW, but perhaps it is present in the Basic firmware?
Does anyone know if I can run the Mixed Scale firmware even though I am only using Shahe/Igaging scales? That could possibly solve the issue. It's just that since getting the FW onto the chip has been the hardest thing in this build, I am hesitant in having to have another go at flashing it...;-)

All best and once again, big cudos to Yuriy!
I went with an infrared "proximity" sensor for the tach. It was a lot easier to stick pieces of reflective tape on my spindle than deal with magnets. It required a little careful tweaking, but has been working great for months now.

There is more than one type, and I actually have an assortment that I intend to try out one of these days to compare ease/difficulty of installation and adjustment, but the first one I tried works so well that I lack a strong incentive.

I used one of these that you can get from Amazon 10 for $10:

https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Infrared-O...ity+sensor

I made a video of my TouchDRO installation (tach is about 13 minutes in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwuZf1M6ycQ
(01-01-2018, 08:16 PM)Briney Eye Wrote: I went with an infrared "proximity" sensor for the tach.  It was a lot easier to stick pieces of reflective tape on my spindle than deal with magnets.  It required a little careful tweaking, but has been working great for months now.

There is more than one type, and I actually have an assortment that I intend to try out one of these days to compare ease/difficulty of installation and adjustment, but the first one I tried works so well that I lack a strong incentive.

I used one of these that you can get from Amazon 10 for $10:

https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Infrared-O...ity+sensor

I made a video of my TouchDRO installation (tach is about 13 minutes in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwuZf1M6ycQ

Thanks for this. Quick question, which board and FW are you on? And did you try the hall effect sensors before going with infrared? I can probably get the infrared sensors locally (I am based in China) but I did buy three hall effect sensors already, so would like to get them to work;-). Also, they infrared sensors are quite a bit larger and I don't have a whole lot of space on the mini lathe.
I feel like the hall effect sensors are working. The readout is stable and linear, but the value is just way too low.

[EDIT] just saw your video - I had seen some of your others earlier on, too. Well done and what beautiful shop and machines you have:-)
[quote pid='929' dateline='1514870483']
Thanks for this. Quick question, which board and FW are you on? And did you try the hall effect sensors before going with infrared? I can probably get the infrared sensors locally (I am based in China) but I did buy three hall effect sensors already, so would like to get them to work;-). Also, they infrared sensors are quite a bit larger and I don't have a whole lot of space on the mini lathe.
I feel like the hall effect sensors are working. The readout is stable and linear, but the value is just way too low.

[EDIT] just saw your video - I had seen some of your others earlier on, too. Well done and what beautiful shop and machines you have:-)
[/quote]

I've got Mixed Scale boards on both my lathe and mill and the latest firmware as far as I know.  I didn't try Hall effect sensors, no.  The IR board fits nicely on my old Logan lathe.

Sorry to ask the obvious question(s), but are you sure that you have the right number of counts per revolution set up in TouchDRO?  Also, I assume that you're aware that Hall effect sensors have a polarity?  You have to have the correct pole of the magnet pointing toward the sensor for them to work properly.

Thanks for the compliment.  It's all a matter of framing the shot so that you can't see the mess.