Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W axes calibration
You only have 3 zeros: an X zero, a Y zero and a Z zero.

Each axis determines an offset between the work piece and tool, that's it. The zero is just some arbitrary point that you set so that it is convenient for you to measure from for whatever piece you are working on.
It will be different for each and every part.

In the case of your W and Z axis, they both change the relation between the work piece and the tool along the same axis, namely up and down. If you move the knee, the part moves up and down. If you move the spindle, the tool moves up and down. Either way, the net effect is the same: the vertical distance between the part and the tool changes. You sum the W and Z axis so that you always know the total distance between the part and the tool.
Regards,
Brian
Thanks Brian, that is really helpful.

I have been watching the combined W and "think" I understand, so far so good.

Now re: you always know the total distance between the part and the tool

Which part of the tool for X and Y it is the center of the tool which part for Z?

I would "assume" the bottom of the tool but need to make sure.

And of course the setting for the X and Y can be changed for tool diameter so there will be more questions
when I get to that part.

I really appreciate the help so far,

Ralph
The distance will change with every tool change, and every part. With a manual setup, no two setups will ever be identical, even if you are using the same tool and machining the same piece. You have to set the zero point each and every time. That's part of the art of machining.
And the zero point is completely arbitrary. What ever the most convenient point for you to make zero, you make zero.
Take a look at Yuriy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SraYLFlRnE8

and this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBXDKaw3XY

Hope you find those useful.

There are a ton of videos out there for the basics of milling operations.
I did a quick Google search and found several right away.
Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5gjkYvMg8A

These videos are long, they are instructional videos. I have not watched them, so I can not attest to the quality of the information, but those would be a good place to start.
Regards,
Brian
Thanks Brian, I have been watching machining videos for a year now.

I have picked up so much information. I need to spend time just looking at Yuri's videos a few time.

This is a very enjoyable process.

I need to learn the Mill and the Lathe and other accessory machine and tools.

I flunked out of Machine Shop II fifty years ago, now I am finally trying to get my act together.

Ralph
Videos are a good place to start, they will give you a baseline to work from.

But there is absolutely no substitute for actually cutting metal.

Pick up a random piece of metal and make some cuts. If something doesn't work out, try to figure out what went wrong. Go back to the videos if it's stumping you.
With any kind of machining operation, be it milling, turning, drilling, etc., the chips will tell you exactly what is going on. The size, shape and color of the chip will tell you what adjustments you need to make. Once you learn what the chip should look like, and what they look like when something is off, you will be well on your way.

Happy Machining!
Regards,
Brian