Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumping numbers
Information 
Is there a cure for these jumpy numbers?  I changed from 4 decimals to 3 and that helped greatly but the last digit or two are flickering between numbers.  I have Igaging scales. Without touching anything, the last number or two will bounce between numbers.

Just to add, this is not caused by the motor as it's not running and it does it. Turning the mill on doesn't affect it at all.
I have the same problem.  I have the new EZ View Plus DRO scales and the igaging adapter.
Roger Petrella
Colorado Springs, CO
Generally, this is due to the scales themselves.
The data they transmit has noise in it, and sometimes the controller sees a single bit changing every once in a while, and treats it as valid data (which it is, as far as the controller knows)
So long as it's not a large jump more than +/- .001", it really shouldn't be a problem. If you set Filtering on in TouchDRO, it should smooth things out.
Regards,
Brian
this is my problem

2 chinese scales in my Myford ML7 lathe

https://youtu.be/au6i_UvLpMk
Having the same issue on my iGaging digimag scales.  Tried a bunch of thing Yuriy suggested on the blog short of recabling (cant seem to find the double Mini B USB cable thats shielded).  Not sure what to try next.  The motor being on or not has no effect for me either. The filtering helped a little but didn't solve it.

Update: Looks like my cables are actually shielded so thats not it (figured it out while I was trimming down one end to fit through a waterproof connector in my project box. Very clean power and I'm using a very heavy duty wall wart power supply. They actually worked better in the crappy original heads so I hope we all can narrow this down because the interface in TouchDRO is awesome.
Adding 0.1uf power supply decoupling caps in the read heads of my Shars/Shahe/AccuRemote scales quieted them down nicely. I don't know if that's the problem with the iGaging scales, just sayin'. I hope you get the problem fixed.