Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY probe for ESP32
Photo 
I've just built my second Touch DRO for a new mill.  I'm really impressed with it and with the software.  Thank you Yuriy.

Cable management is in progress Big Grin

I've been wondering about the edge finder / probe function and I wondered whether anyone had come up with an inexpensive probe that worked with Touch DRO.

There are probes made for the purpose but these are more than I am prepared to pay at the moment.  I have wondered about some way of using or modifying the cheap (£10ish) probes that light up on contact.  I also like the idea of measuring resistance change so you can use a tool to probe the z-axis.

Does anyone have any bright ideas or experience.

Russell
heh I made a voltage based probe a long long time ago for a cnc router! It works reasonably well. It was just an aligator clip that clipped onto the end mill, another that clipped onto the workpiece, and when the shank of the end mill touched the work, it completed a simple transistor circuit. Got a bit hairy when run fast, I did my probing slow with my hand on the estop button, and still broke a few endmills when the connection wasn't perfect, but could easily be improved. Given the more manual operation expected on a manual DRO, this seems like it wouldn't be a problem. If you want even more precision if you're probing for center, probe one edge, then rotate the spindle 180 degrees to probe the other edge.

There are some circumstances to be aware of, such as anodizing is non-conductive so you've gotta push hard enough to get through the coating, doesn't work on plastics, may trigger too soon if the path through the spindle is too conductive, etc...

Another option is one of those cheap cnc router 3d probes from amazon. Not too hard to make either, they're just 3 rods that settle into 3 pairs of balls to complete the circuit.