Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QR Code tool library
I just watched a YT video, where a guy from Practical Machinist toured the Haimer facility in Germany, and they mentioned something that got my gears turning. The facility uses tool-tracking, to monitor tool life. The majority of their tool holders have RFID tags built in, but the ones that don't... have QR codes on them.

This got me thinking. TouchDRO uses a tablet for a display. Tablets (at least, most tablets) have front-facing cameras, and can read QR codes. Would it be possible for the tool library to generate a QR code for each tool? Or, if not generate the code itself, be able to scan an existing QR code (or even bar code), and assign it to a tool?

As long as you're doing a straight tool change, and don't need to manually change the offsets for a particular operation (which would use the existing buttons with those functions), there would be a button to just scan the tool, and the readout would automatically reflect the offsets for that tool.

This would make tool changes even easier. Press "Change Tool" button, scan tool code, BOOP, change tool, and go.
YouTube: FnA-Wright Engineering
(12-09-2023, 03:45 AM)MidniteMachinist Wrote: I just watched a YT video, where a guy from Practical Machinist toured the Haimer facility in Germany, and they mentioned something that got my gears turning. The facility uses tool-tracking, to monitor tool life. The majority of their tool holders have RFID tags built in, but the ones that don't... have QR codes on them.

This got me thinking. TouchDRO uses a tablet for a display. Tablets (at least, most tablets) have front-facing cameras, and can read QR codes. Would it be possible for the tool library to generate a QR code for each tool? Or, if not generate the code itself, be able to scan an existing QR code (or even bar code), and assign it to a tool?

As long as you're doing a straight tool change, and don't need to manually change the offsets for a particular operation (which would use the existing buttons with those functions), there would be a button to just scan the tool, and the readout would automatically reflect the offsets for that tool.

This would make tool changes even easier. Press "Change Tool" button, scan tool code, BOOP, change tool, and go.

OK, I'm going to call this "idea suggestion of the year" Smile 
I have a bit of urgent stuff to finish, but this is now on top of my TODO list.
The main issue I see is printing and applying the QR codes to the tools... Though I suppose this would be on the end user to accomplish.

My intention would be to print it on regular printer paper, and stick it to my TTS milling tool holders (or Aloris-style lathe tool holders) with double-sided tape, then overlaid with packing tape. However... I usually machine dry, or with minimal lubrication, manually applied at the business end of the tool. Those who use flood or mist coolant might have more difficulty, though I'm sure there are better options than tape.

Regardless, I'm stoked that you dig the idea!
YouTube: FnA-Wright Engineering
(12-10-2023, 03:08 AM)MidniteMachinist Wrote: The main issue I see is printing and applying the QR codes to the tools... Though I suppose this would be on the end user to accomplish.

My intention would be to print it on regular printer paper, and stick it to my TTS milling tool holders (or Aloris-style lathe tool holders) with double-sided tape, then overlaid with packing tape. However... I usually machine dry, or with minimal lubrication, manually applied at the business end of the tool. Those who use flood or mist coolant might have more difficulty, though I'm sure there are better options than tape.

Regardless, I'm stoked that you dig the idea!

label print onto heat shrink ??  The stuff ive used is almost everything proof in the engine room....
but, yes, awesome idea cos i cant remember where i put my vernier down 2 minutes ago!