Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basics
Hello guys 
I'am really excited about this project, I have a freshly rebuilt Bridgeport 9x42 that I'am going to put this on but I have almost 0 experience with electronics, so I'd like to throw a few questions at you guys. First off I have the tablet with the app down loaded , also Yuri's 89$ quad adapter and  Ditron glass scales that will be here next week.
What I need is a little guidance on the components I need to  get to complete the project. I do not have a radio shack within a 100 miles so I'am going to order online. Yuri made reference to Fry's about  power supplies so I'am going to order the one he recommended so I will order the rest of the stuff I need from them also. If there is a better supplier I'am open to suggestions, but for now I'd like to ask you guys if what I'am ordering will work. 
First off the DB-9 connectors 4 -9 pin solder conn. p/n 191059
One reset switch p/n 7825409 or 7825419 what is the difference?
I have a tube of 60/40 rosin core solder, will this be the best for a beginner?
For the wire I need I have 6' 24awg 9 conducter p/n 3550794 ?

For the db -9 connectors do I need the bracket and screw hardware for mounting those?
The power supply p/n7939110  is what I'am looking at
OK now for a few other beginner questions. .For the wiring of the db-9 connectors what is the best, I was thinking 4 or 5 inch jumper wires soldered between the board and the connector?
Now for the reset switch ,I'am assuming a 4 inch wire from the reset spot on the program header and a wire from the ground on the program header to the switch which will be mounted on the surface of the box does this sound right ?

I ordered a beginner soldering kit off of Ebay so I can practice before I start which hopefully will boost my confidence some.
Well thanks for putting up with some dumb questions for I am really looking forward to learning something new
and have the satisfaction of doing it myself,Thanks again  RB
(01-21-2017, 11:53 PM)gravelrunner69 Wrote: Hello guys 
I'am really excited about this project, I have a freshly rebuilt Bridgeport 9x42 that I'am going to put this on but I have almost 0 experience with electronics, so I'd like to throw a few questions at you guys. First off I have the tablet with the app down loaded , also Yuri's 89$ quad adapter and  Ditron glass scales that will be here next week.
What I need is a little guidance on the components I need to  get to complete the project. I do not have a radio shack within a 100 miles so I'am going to order online. Yuri made reference to Fry's about  power supplies so I'am going to order the one he recommended so I will order the rest of the stuff I need from them also. If there is a better supplier I'am open to suggestions, but for now I'd like to ask you guys if what I'am ordering will work. 
First off the DB-9 connectors 4 -9 pin solder conn. p/n 191059
One reset switch p/n 7825409 or 7825419 what is the difference?
I have a tube of 60/40 rosin core solder, will this be the best for a beginner?
For the wire I need I have 6' 24awg 9 conducter p/n 3550794 ?

For the db -9 connectors do I need the bracket and screw hardware for mounting those?
The power supply p/n7939110  is what I'am looking at
OK now for a few other beginner questions. .For the wiring of the db-9 connectors what is the best, I was thinking 4 or 5 inch jumper wires soldered between the board and the connector?
Now for the reset switch ,I'am assuming a 4 inch wire from the reset spot on the program header and a wire from the ground on the program header to the switch which will be mounted on the surface of the box does this sound right ?

I ordered a beginner soldering kit off of Ebay so I can practice before I start which hopefully will boost my confidence some.
Well thanks for putting up with some dumb questions for I am really looking forward to learning something new
and have the satisfaction of doing it myself,Thanks again  RB

First of all, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Secondly, PRACTICE your soldering. You have no idea how much that will help. You can't expect results like you see in the pictures unless you PRACTICE!

Thirdly, the stuff Yuriy puts out is tried and true. He does comprehensive testing with EVERYthing. While the vast majority of us only try stuff that we have, Yuriy tests almost every possible configuration. I generally accept what he says as gospel.

This is a DIY project. The journey IS the destination. Be expecting things not to work. But you have no idea how gratifying it is when everything just comes together and it WORKS! It's the "I WIN!!!!" moment Big Grin

So basically, you have all the tools you need, go slow, expect setbacks, and be patient. You will gain skill as it goes. None of us can help you out with dimensions, really, as we have no idea what your desired outcome is (every setup is different).

Best of Luck!
Regards,
Brian
@Gravel - can you post some info & details on the Ditrons that you bought for your BP?

+1 to what Eskimo said about practicing soldering. And good solder.
I've been practicing for 40 years and still don't have the touch. My son can run circles around me soldering, and he never had 'training' at it.
Now-a-days I have to ask to do mine for me if the wire gets below 26ga.
A good soldering iron is always key, just like good tools.
I had a really nice weller adjustable that I loaned out - never to be seen again...
-=-=-=-
Gotta get a DRO!