Forum
question about the boards - Printable Version

+- Forum (https://forum.yuriystoys.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.yuriystoys.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: TouchDRO Boards and Kits (https://forum.yuriystoys.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: question about the boards (/showthread.php?tid=218)

question about the boards - Maarten - 08-21-2017

Hoi,

I ordered yesterday the Adapter Board with USB Mini-B Breakout Boards.
  • are the breakout boards already connected with the adapter board?
  • it is programmed but i want also install a tachometer is that still possible?
  • Can i use a 9 volt block battery as by a arduino board ?
  • for the tachometer what is better a IR sensor or hall effect sensor ?
i hope somebody has the answers for me.

thanks ,

Maarten
maartenstumpf@gmail.com

RE: question about the boards - Briney Eye - 08-23-2017

The tach is just an input. You will have to enable it and set the pulses per revolution in TouchDRO. If there's a valid signal on the input you will be in business.

I used a cheap IR transmitter-receiver board and retro-reflective tape on my lathe spindle. I used small bits of the tape that came with my Pyle laser tachometer, but have since bought more since it's readily available. I put six pieces of tape on my spindle which provided pretty close to a 50% duty cycle and good frequency resolution at low speed. It was a little finicky getting it aligned and the sensitivity adjusted, but has been working great since. You will have to decide based on your machine.

RE: question about the boards - Maarten - 08-24-2017

(08-23-2017, 02:46 PM)Briney Eye Wrote: The tach is just an input.  You will have to enable it and set the pulses per revolution in TouchDRO.  If there's a valid signal on the input you will be in business.

I used a cheap IR transmitter-receiver board and retro-reflective tape on my lathe spindle.  I used small bits of the tape that came with my Pyle laser tachometer, but have since bought more since it's readily available.  I put six pieces of tape on my spindle which provided pretty close to a 50% duty cycle and good frequency resolution at low speed.  It was a little finicky getting it aligned and the sensitivity adjusted, but has been working great since.  You will have to decide based on your machine.

Thanks dor the info , i hope i can find the way to enable it.
Does the board come witch i kind of instruction ?
i think i can go with IR transmitter because i have a small  lathe machine proxxon PD250

RE: question about the boards - Briney Eye - 08-25-2017

That's a cute little machine, but it must have been a real challenge to mount your scales. I have bought a couple of Proxxon tools for work. I just checked out some Youtube videos, and it looks like you have plenty of room to mount a sensor under the cover, and probably use the existing bolts for your cable clips. With the type of IR sensor that I used you will only need to drill and tap one hole. I used a short nylon standoff to space the board away from the gearbox housing. It looks like you have plenty of space to put some reflective tape on the spindle.