Forum

Full Version: Won't read scales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I purchased the 'Adapter board with micro-b connectors'.  

All of my scales are Accuremote with blue housing.  They are 3 volt, battery.  The rails are stainless steel.  

The adapter board does not label the pinout of the inputs.  It does show the position of pin 1 and 5, but not what any of the pins 'are'.  

I read through the board use pages and determined that the pinout of the adapter board, for each axis, appears to be:

1- VDD 3.3V
   2- Data
   3- SSY
   4- GND
   5- GND

I cut the end off a micro-b cable, separated and stripped the wires.  The cable was then plugged into the adapter board, in the Z axis connector.  A multimeter was used to identify each pin number on the adapter board, to the associated wire on the other end of the cable.  The cable was unplugged from the adapter board, the wires were tinned, the test pads on the scale's PCB were tinned and the wires attached to their proper test pad and ground points.  The wiring was checked at least a half dozen times.  There are no mistakes or shorts according to the pinout shown above. 

I opened TouchDRO.  The app connected with the adapter board.  All three axis are lit up as if ready for use.  However, regardless of what input the cable is plugged into, X, Y or Z, the app will not read the scale, as in change the numbers as the scale is moved.  Nothing I can do in the app changes this issue.  I tried turning off the axis that don't have a scale plugged into them in the app, but that did not help.  

To eliminate the scale's circuit as the problem, I unplugged the cable from the adapter board.  I then plugged the Accuremote device back into the scale (in the original socket, which remains on the scale's PCB).  The scale works just fine with the original device, just not with TouchDRO.

Has anyone experienced this?  If so, what was the solution?  

Is it possible that the pinout list was typed out of order, as in the data and clock lines reversed? 

Are my scales even compatible?  The website says that Accuremote should be supported.  

Is it possible I got a bad adapter board?
(05-11-2018, 05:41 AM)Thorn3 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

All of my scales are Accuremote with blue housing.  They are 3 volt, battery.  The rails are stainless steel.  

The adapter board does not label the pinout of the inputs.  It does show the position of pin 1 and 5, but not what any of the pins 'are'.  

I read through the board use pages and determined that the pinout of the adapter board, for each axis, appears to be:

1- VDD 3.3V
   2- Data
   3- SSY
   4- GND
   5- GND

I cut the end off a micro-b cable, separated and stripped the wires.  The cable was then plugged into the adapter board, in the Z axis connector.  A multimeter was used to identify each pin number on the adapter board, to the associated wire on the other end of the cable.  The cable was unplugged from the adapter board, the wires were tinned, the test pads on the scale's PCB were tinned and the wires attached to their proper test pad and ground points.  The wiring was checked at least a half dozen times.  There are no mistakes or shorts according to the pinout shown above. 

I opened TouchDRO.  The app connected with the adapter board.  All three axis are lit up as if ready for use.  However, regardless of what input the cable is plugged into, X, Y or Z, the app will not read the scale, as in change the numbers as the scale is moved.  Nothing I can do in the app changes this issue.  I tried turning off the axis that don't have a scale plugged into them in the app, but that did not help.  

To eliminate the scale's circuit as the problem, I unplugged the cable from the adapter board.  I then plugged the Accuremote device back into the scale (in the original socket, which remains on the scale's PCB).  The scale works just fine with the original device, just not with TouchDRO.

Is it possible that the pinout list was typed out of order, as in the data and clock lines reversed? 

Are my scales even compatible?  The website says that Accuremote should be supported.  

Thorn3,
AccuRemote scales are supported.
The pinout is Vcc, Clk (SSY), Data, Req (Grounded) and Ground. 
Make sure to power-cycle the board when you plug in the scale, as the board runs protocol detection routine during the first two seconds.

It's possible that the board is bad, but not very likely. I test each board before shipping and not counting a couple of  cases when the customers fried the board by using wrong power supply, I had two (I think) failed boards out of several hundred sold. If you see the heart beat (green LED) and BT (blue LEDs) blinking, the board is most likely fine.

Thank you
Yuriy
(05-11-2018, 06:21 AM)Yuriy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-11-2018, 05:41 AM)Thorn3 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

1- VDD 3.3V
   2- Data
   3- SSY
   4- GND
   5- GND

Thorn3,
AccuRemote scales are supported.
The pinout is Vcc, Clk (SSY), Data, Req (Grounded) and Ground. 
Make sure to power-cycle the board when you plug in the scale, as the board runs protocol detection routine during the first two seconds.

It's possible that the board is bad, but not very likely. I test each board before shipping and not counting a couple of  cases when the customers fried the board by using wrong power supply, I had two (I think) failed boards out of several hundred sold. If you see the heart beat (green LED) and BT (blue LEDs) blinking, the board is most likely fine.

Thank you
Yuriy

Thanks Yuriy for the fast reply.  I suspected the data and clock lines were the culprit.  I swapped them on the scale's PCB end.  Works great! 

Under 'non-absolute scales', where Accuremote is mentioned, you will see that the Data and SSY/Clock lines are swapped in the list.   

http://www.yuriystoys.com/2016/12/connec...apter.html

So, for anyone else wiring to Accuremote scales, the revised pinout on the adapter board end:

1- VDD 3.3V
2- SSY/Clock
3- Data
4- Req (Grounded)
5- Ground